Wednesday, July 13, 2011

for the glory of God

   so last night i was waaaay tired when i was writing my post. so tired that i didn't post it until this afternoon. so tired that i didn't even officially challenge myself to be intentional on anything specific today. boo-hiss on me!
  there are bible verses written with window marker and window crayons everywhere in our house. (thank you crayola - great products!) on the kitchen window above the sink i have several very helpful ones that are going to help me with my next intentional challenge. here they are:
  proverbs 31:17 she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 25 she is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26 she speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27 she watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 30 charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a women who fears the Lord is to be praised.
  these verses are a great source of encouragement to me and even help to remind me that the things i do are important. a lot of the time i feel as though they aren't, and that is sad. i really enjoy my job as wife, mommy and homemaker, but often it doesn't come with any specific reward. no employee appreciation day so to say. now don't get me wrong here, getting to watch my children grow, learn, laugh, play, sing and just simply exist is quite a reward. here's the kicker: at times i look for rewards in other ways.
  i like to be told things are going well. that the house looks nice and a "hey thanks love for ________ " is something i seek often. yes to teach my children to be thankful is good and right, but is my desire to seek some sort of approval, some sort of reward for this job wrong?
  i know the One who sees all, and knows all, is the One i am doing my job for, more then anyone else. i do hope that on the day we meet face to face He will say, "well done good and faithful servant."
  servant. that is what i am. not servant to my husband, although at times it may feel that way. not servant to my children while most times it does feel that way. servant to my Savior to whom i owe my all. to whom i really want to give my all.
  when my grumbling about doing dishes again is audible - even only to me, i pray that i would remember to do it for the Lord, not for anyone else. when i wish the laundry would do itself and not grow for just a few days, i pray that i remember, i do it for the Lord, not for anyone else.
  another big thing that i do is multitask my multitasking. instead of going downstairs to print off some school papers and to start a load of clothes in the washer, i may bring arm loads of whatever down stairs as well as try to remember to bring things back up stairs all the while reading to my daughter who sits on my hip or on the dryer while i fill the washing machine. is this crazy or what? let me just say, it makes me feel crazy.
  so here are my two challenges for tomorrow. i know, two may be asking a lot of me.
tomorrow i want to intentionally do the house work for my Lord. not because i know it needs to be done. not because it makes life easier, or because i know my hubby does in fact appreciate it, but to pleasure of my Lord.
  also i want to intentionally stop multitasking my multitasking. simply do my work, one thing at a time, giving only one task at a time, my all. because really? isn't doing housework and mothering well, multitasking enough? no matter how many times that means i'll need to go up and down the stairs i will be thankfull that i don't need to pay for a gym pass. i wonder if taking two steps at a time in order to get a better thighs and buns workout while going up the stairs is considered multitasking my multitasking?

No comments:

Post a Comment